Pets and pet food companies are facing a potential backlash over the fact that their products are becoming increasingly contaminated with dangerous bacteria.
In a statement, Pete’s Groves Pet Foods said it will stop selling pet food products made from a strain of Escherichia coli known as C57BL/6, which causes food poisoning, diarrhea and vomiting in humans.
It said it would suspend production of pet food made from the strain and will also stop manufacturing products from its pet-safe and pet-friendly brands.
It also said it plans to stop manufacturing pet food from pet-free brands.
The statement comes a day after the United States Food and Drug Administration issued a warning to pet food manufacturers after the first reported case of C57bl/6 infection in humans in the U.S. in less than two years.
The Food and Drugs Administration said it had been aware of C157BL/H5 coronavirus infections in cats and dogs but not humans, and that the agency had not seen evidence that humans have contracted the virus.
“The risk for human exposure is not known at this time,” the FDA said.
The agency said there are “no data to suggest that human exposures to C57/H6 occur in the United State.”
Pete, which sells pet food in Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Canada and the United Arab Emirates, also said its pet product made from C57 is safe for humans.
The company said it stopped production of C13 pet food because it is no longer being produced in the world.